New grower with ?’s

Yo Momma

Jan 23, 2019
Hi all, right after I got my patient license I immediately built a nice little grow closet. I am new at this, so for my first crop I just used bag seed for practice. I have no idea what I’m gonna get but the seeds came from an outdoor indica dominant hybrid. The seeds sprouted 28 days ago and I ended up with my legal 6 plants that are about 8” tall now and are starting their 6th node. I’ve been viewing YouTube for sexing and it should be about time for them to fess up, but every time I look closely at where they say to look for little balls, or hairs as you really want, the little flap just keeps turning into another branch and a new fan of leaves. Am I looking too soon? These are obviously indica like plants, really bushy with wide dark green leaves. 7 leaves in the latest branches. By the way I’m using 400w worth of full spectrum led’s, lots of fans blowing around in there, and an exhaust that runs 24/7. I’m keeping it between 74 & 76* and I’m watering with 5.8-6.0 ph corrected water. My light cycle is currently 18/6. Anything else I should be doing? These things look very healthy and they’re growing like, well, weeds... I’m just scared I’m gonna end up with 6 males so any help sexing these things will be appreciated.

Mr Bill

Outside Looking In
Staff member
Jan 9, 2019
That was one of my first thoughts as well. Per my usual luck, however, I'm living in an apartment now. I'm going to have to go get permission from the manager, as per the law, if I read it correctly. Oh, I'm afraid there are only about 5 of us registered here in the forums, and half of them don't post. So, yeah, if'n ya see any wayward Okies along the way, send them over this way!!

Yo Momma

Jan 23, 2019
Hi Mr Bill, I didn’t expect lots of audience yet but I’ll try to help you get the word out this could be a great resource. From reading online they make growing this stuff sound like a mystic art. But I used to duck hunt the rivers in OK and in the early season it wasn’t uncommon at all to run across wild patches of weed. And there aint nobody running up and down the riverbanks feeding expensive weed specific food with a cool looking label to those plants. So it can’t be that hard unless they have breed the hardiness out of these modern high-potent hybrids.

Mr Bill

Outside Looking In
Staff member
Jan 9, 2019
Yeah, it’s all a thriving industry, pushing everything you need to grow your own. But I do keep hearing from different folks that their first grows were a huge learning experience. I don’t know, but no way I keep paying retail! It’s a no-brainer to grow your own. I can’t wait until I can get squared away with permission and at the least a couple of plants in a small tent. And an FYI, we’re supposed to buy seeds only in or from Oklahoma. Now that seems strange.

Yo Momma

Jan 23, 2019
No doubt there’s lots of early greedy gouging going on but the out the door price is already lower at some dispensaries than top notch was before (or so I’m told 🤐) so I have hope. But until it gets under 150/oz, and it will, it definitely pays to grow your own. Too bad the law wasn’t written so patients could share with other patients because a good crop of 6 plants will set you WAY over your legal limit. And from what I’ve gathered you can feasibly do up to 4 harvests a year in one cabinet. Lots of good weed is going to go to waste because I’m sure you and I aren’t the only ones who have a hard time shelling out our hard earned cash for a medicinal weed, and we will be growing our own instead.

Mr Bill

Outside Looking In
Staff member
Jan 9, 2019
Oh yeah, I’ve discovered the hard way that I need the lower THC Indica, with good amount of CBD. Some of these Budtenders aren’t quite sure what I’m talking about, and just push the very high THC sativas! Man that stuff just knocks me down! I’m such a lightweight lol!!